The People’s Republic of China has been very generous to Liberia. They built and later rehabilitated the S.K.D Sports Complex; they resumed and completed the new Health and Social Welfare Ministry Building.They have given US$10 million to revamp and expand the Monrovia Vocational Training Center (MVTC). In the biggest assistance initiative of all, they have pledged US$60 million to build a ministerial complex to house the government’s ministries. But this important project has been stalled because of the quarrel over location. That, believe it or not, relates directly to the theme of this editorial–the cost of dependency.What do we mean?The Chinese insist on visibility and the Liberian government seems to want to please this totally unnecessary wish. Monrovia is a relatively small city, where nothing can hide. First, they wanted the complex built at ELWA compound right on the Robertsfield Highway. Because of the controversy that it provoked, the government started leaning to the most logical and suitable place for the complex, the Buzzi Quarter area, which is next to the center of power—the Legislature, Executive Mansion and the Temple of Justice. The people there said they welcomed the ministerial complex in their area and were willing to be relocated. No, the government changed again, saying they wanted to locate the complex at Peace Island. But the thousands who reside there, mostly non-combatants and their families, say they are not moving anywhere.Why the government feels it has to answer to whatever the Chinese want beats most Liberians; but GOL feels that this is part of the cost of dependency, forgetting that we are a sovereign nation and those who want to help us should do so on our terms, not their own. But dependency often breeds subservience, though it does not have to be that way.Another tangible indication of the cost of subservience is the attitude of the Chinese in Liberia. Many of them feel they can do anything here and get away with it. Many are involved in petty trading, which should be the exclusive preserve of Liberians.Last week en route to Sinoe, the President herself saw Chinese gold miners preparing for mining operations, even though they had not yet secured a license for that. They were even mining sand in the Cestos River, undermining the free flow of the river and endangering the structure of the Cestos Bridge.President Sirleaf was incensed by this and ordered an immediate halt to the Chinese operations. She was gentle with them; she could have ordered their arrest, since they were violating the law, for which country can one enter and start mining gold without first obtaining an official permit to do so?But this is part of the cost of dependency. Some Chinese feel that because their country is helping Liberia, they can come here and do anything and get away with it.That is why Liberians should work harder at everything they do, be more creative, more patriotic and strive to make our country stronger and more self-reliant.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Wales Sugar EstateIn light of high-level meetings regarding the financial state of the sugar industry, workers were finally paid but only after information surfaced that several categories of employees had not been paid for their services for about two weeks.At Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting, the Guyana Sugar Corporation’s (GuySuCo) request for urgent monies was granted which paved the way for workers across the estates to receive their salaries. Guyana Times was told that workers at Uitvlugt and at Wales received their weekly salaries by Wednesday afternoon.The disbursements for workers at Wales followed a nearly three-hour meeting at that entity on Wednesday morning where workers, in some tense moments, had demanded to know why they weren’t paid up to that point. Many workers had earlier contended that their dwindling finances were affecting their ability to feed and send their children to school and to meet other financial needs. This publication was made aware that the lack of finances during the period also hit the village economy.It was only Wednesday that Guyana Timesreported that the industry’s “cash-strapped” status was directly impacting workers. This newspaper had also reported that workers across the industry were turning up at the various estates only to be told that there was no money available to pay them.Workers still attached at the downsized Wales Sugar Estate had been called to a meeting on Monday, where they were informed of the industry’s financial state. When workers inquired as to when they will be receiving payments, officials at Wales were, at that time, reportedly reluctant to commit to a date but said that as soon as finances are available, the sugar workers would be paid.On Monday, Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo along with GuySuCo’s Chairman of the Board of Directors, Clive Thomas and Chief Executive Officer, Errol Hanoman, met to discuss “urgent cash flow relative to wages, salaries and other payments at GuySuCo.”GuySuCo had revealed that at the high-level meeting, it was agreed on the steps to be taken to ensure the employees are paid for services provided to the Corporation for the past week. GuySuCo had disclosed that the Chairman and the CEO were “given assurances that the matter is being given the utmost consideration by the Government and the Corporation.”At present, the Guyana Sugar Corporation employs close to 17,000 people but it has been estimated that its planned downsizing could directly affect the livelihoods of some 10,000 sugar workers and thousands more via their family members and communities that depend on the sugar industry. Government has long contended that the necessary measures to re-organise sugar must be implemented for it to be sustained and the Wales Estate was the first entity to be closed under the policy decision which was met with much criticism and protests.
Rugby union Support The Guardian Autumn internationals The last time Warren Gatland coached against Steve Hansen it proved impossible to separate the British & Irish Lions and the All Blacks. This time the gap was wider but the team in red again made a vivid impression. While New Zealand will fly home undefeated on their autumn tour of Europe, they can now feel the hot breath of the north on their collars.The final margin certainly does not reflect the frenzy of the contest, every bit as eye-catching as the Lions’ summer showpieces. For Wales the efforts of Josh Navidi, Rob Evans and Taulupe Faletau deserved better and a darting final-quarter score from Gareth Davies raised further hopes but, ultimately, two sharp tries apiece for the All Black wings Waisake Naholo and Rieko Ioane spared visiting blushes.How Wales could have done with showing similar ruthlessness. At least they gave it an almighty go from the outset, dominating possession and territory to an almost surreal extent in the first half. Flat to the gain line, cranking up the pace, testing a road-weary All Black side’s resolve … it was not a million miles away from the manner in which Scotland blew Australia away. The inferiority complex, not to mention the tactical handbrake, that has too often held northern hemisphere sides back in November was nowhere to be seen.In the end they could not quite sustain it, with the 20-year-old Ioane showing exactly why he is a strong contender for the world player of the year award. At no stage, though, was it a routine afternoon for New Zealand. Without their injured totem Kieran Read to steady things and with no consistent forward platform they could only rely on their wits. The All Blacks’ stunning finishing ability was the only vital thing their hosts could not match.Sixty-four years have elapsed since Wales won this fixture but at least there were positive signs in attack, if not always defensively, to generate optimism before next Saturday’s meeting with South Africa. The crowd are certainly enjoying their team’s more adventurous approach and the visitors duly took delivery of the full kitchen sink – a Dan Biggar toe-poke forcing Beauden Barrett into a desperate scramble back behind his own line after the ball struck the goalpost padding, a ninth-minute Leigh Halfpenny penalty soon put the home side ahead and the first quarter tide was entirely crimson. match reports When Naholo inadvertently struck his scrum-half Aaron Smith in the face with a long pass after the whistle had gone it added to the sense of rattled All Black senses. Even under the cosh, though, they remain reliably dangerous. Straight down the middle of the field, out of nowhere, surged Ioane and, with the Wales defence split, Smith and Naholo combined more successfully to allow the big winger to complete a spectacular aerial one-handed finish in the right corner.Over went the touchline conversion from Barrett and, despite having had virtually no possession, the All Blacks found themselves 7-3 up. It is a trick they pull so often for it not to be remotely a coincidence. By the end of the first quarter Wales had also lost two key men to injury, Rhys Webb failing to return following a head knock and Jake Ball wheeled off in such acute pain from a damaged shoulder he required oxygen.Without a clutch of Lions already, not least Jonathan Davies and Sam Warburton, it did not bode well but no sinking feeling was discernible out on the field. The all-action Navidi broke clear into the All Black 22 only for Hallam Amos to spill Halfpenny’s long pass with a try looking odds-on. It was the sort of opportunity, sadly, that New Zealanders tend to take in their sleep.The stats, by now, looked as though they had fallen victim to a cyber hacking attack. In the first half-hour, New Zealand made 88 tackles to Wales’s 11; only thanks to a belated flurry just before half-time did the All Blacks creep up to 25% possession in the opening 40 minutes. They need only the occasional scrap, though, to keep the scoreboard ticking and another sensational finish in the same right-hand corner from Naholo cancelled out a long, raking penalty from Halfpenny.Most assumed that would be that, only to be confounded again. From a lineout in their own half a short ball on the gainline set Amos galloping clear and this time the Dragons wing did everything right, finding Biggar in support who, in turn, put Scott Williams over for the 11th try of his rollercoaster Test career, trimming the interval score to 12-11.In past years under Gatland, Wales have hit the front only to falter in the final quarter. Could they cling on this time? History suggested not and when Ioane slipped a couple of tackles and threw a bouncing ball inside to the lurking Anton Lienert-Brown towards the end of the third quarter it was due reward for the impact of All Blacks’ forward replacements. Once Ioane had intercepted Biggar’s pass to score his side’s fourth, there could be no way back.WALES Halfpenny; Amos, S Williams (Roberts 57), O Williams, S Evans; Biggar (Priestland 63), Webb (G Davies 8); R Evans (W Jones 57), Owens (Dacey 76), Francis (Brown 76), Ball (Hill 19), AW Jones (capt), Shingler (Tipuric 70), Navidi, Faletau Tries S Williams, G Davies Con Halfpenny Pens Halfpenny 2NEW ZEALAND McKenzie; Naholo (Sopoaga 71), Crotty (Lienert-Brown 19), SB Williams, R Ioane; B Barrett, A Smith (Perenara 63); Hames (Crockett 59) Taylor (Harris 71), Laulala (Tu’ungafasi ht), Tuipulotu (S Barrett 46), S Whitelock (capt), Squire, Cane, L Whitelock (Todd 46) Sin-bin S Whitelock 68 Tries Naholo 2, Liernert-Brown, Ioane 2 Cons Barrett 4Principality Stadium 74,000Game rating 9/10 Referee Wayne Barnes (Eng)‘Execution is the issue – this was a missed opportunity’The Wales captain, Alun Wyn Jones, admitted his team need to show more “killer instinct” after their latest failure to beat New Zealand. Despite dominating possession and territory in the first half, the home side were outscored by five tries to two to extend their losing run against the All Blacks to 64 years.Jones and Warren Gatland conceded New Zealand’s finishing ability had been the crucial difference. “The intent was there but that killer instinct to cross the line let them off the hook on three occasions,” Jones said. “We’ve got to be pleased with the heart we showed but we probably didn’t take the opportunities we had in the first half when we had the pedal down. We’ll rue the missed opportunity. The execution is the issue now, not the intent.”Gatland also felt the ruthless impact of the New Zealand wings Rieko Ioane and Waisake Naholo had decided the contest. The Wales coach said: “I thought it was a great Test match. They’re a good team, aren’t they? At half-time we felt very much in the game but they probably nailed two or three of those moments and we didn’t. Unfortunately that was probably the difference between the sides but the way we’re trying to play is really positive. Our young players will be better for the experience and perhaps learn to be more clinical at times.”With the Lions having drawn their series against New Zealand in the summer and Scotland having put 50 points on Australia this weekend, Gatland also believes the northern hemisphere is making progress. “Gone are the days, as I think you saw last weekend, when the All Blacks could put out a second-string side and still comfortably win,” he said. “There’s still a gap but we like to think, from the experiences of some of the players in the summer, that is closing a little bit. We need to continue to be positive.”Gatland and his New Zealand counterpart, Steve Hansen, were full of praise for Ioane, now a strong contender to be named the world player of the year. “There’s no doubt he’s pretty special and any country in the world would like to have a player of that quality,” Gatland said. “He’s not bad is he? He’s quick, powerful, he’s got good footwork and he scores tries.”Hansen also predicts a bright future for the 20-year-old: “If he keeps his feet on the floor he can go anywhere. Every time he gets the ball you think: ‘What’s going to happen?’” – and believes Wales could pose opponents problems in 2018 with their more positive style. “Whilst they’ll be disappointed they lost they’ll see some light at the end of the tunnel. It’s good for rugby.”Hansen added: “The gap between northern and southern hemisphere teams is probably closing. We won’t really know though until the World Cup, when everyone can put out their best team.” Robert Kitson Since you’re here… Share via Email New Zealand rugby union team Share on WhatsApp Share on Twitter The Observer Sign up to the Breakdown for the latest rugby union news Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn Wales rugby union team Topics … we have a small favour to ask. More people, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we made the choice to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We hope you will consider supporting us today. We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Share on Pinterest Read more Reuse this content Share on Messenger
Transfers Conte quiet on Chelsea links to Dzeko & Llorente but would be ‘happy’ for transfer help Jon Fisher Last updated 1 year ago 00:38 1/20/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Getty Images Transfers Chelsea Antonio Conte Brighton & Hove Albion v Chelsea Premier League The Blues boss is eager to bolster his ranks during the January window, although he has refused to divulge the identity of any targets Antonio Conte has refused to discuss the plethora of strikers linked with Chelsea in recent days, but admits he would be “happy” if the club opted to bolster his squad in the January window.Chelsea have reportedly considered bringing in a traditional target man – Edin Dzeko, Fernando Llorente and even Stoke City veteran Peter Crouch have been mentioned – with Conte seemingly on the look-out for a back-up to the struggling Alvaro Morata.And while the former Italy boss was not willing to talk about individuals, he did hint some help would be welcomed. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Asked specifically if he was confident the club would see some new players arrive before the end of the month, he said: “I am confident? Confident is a big word, we have to wait.”I give my opinion to the club but the final decision is for the club. I have to wait to see what happens. I am very calm in this aspect because I am working with my players in the right way and I am very happy for their commitment.”If the club wants to help us we are happy, otherwise we continue in this way and give ourselves every day to give satisfaction to our fans.”Conte was asked directly about Dzeko, Llorente and Crouch but gave a familiar reply, adding: “As you know, it is not right to talk about players from other teams. I am not interested in it. “In this moment I can talk about my players, Morata and [Michy] Batshuayi. It is not right to talk about the characteristics of other players. “I have always said that I’m happy to work with my players, to try to improve them. Every striker has their own characteristics, in his case Morata has this and Batshuayi has this.” One new recruit now available to Conte is Ross Barkley, who signed from Everton on January 5. The England midfielder played 70 minutes in a friendly on Thursday and is in the squad for Saturday’s trip to Brighton and Hove Albion.Conte added: “Ross is in good physical condition. He’s in the squad, he’s coming with us. I don’t know if during the game I decide to give him the chance to play a part or wait.”The champions will, however, be without the injured Gary Cahill and Cesc Fabregas while Morata and Pedro are both suspended.