News January 8, 2021 Find out more Senegal is ranked 47th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. Along with Ghana, Burkina Faso and Cape Verde, it is one of the few West African countries where the press freedom situation is regarded as fairly good. RSF_en @RSF_Inter “Such an attack is unjustifiable in a country that respects the rule of law,” said Assane Diagne, the director of RSF’s West Africa office. “You don’t ransack a news organization because you dispute the accuracy of what it reported. We call on the Senegalese authorities to react firmly and quickly, so that this attack does not go unpunished.” “There’s just material damage,” Les Echos editor Mbaye Thiandoum told RSF. “My office has been ransacked. Eight computers and a TV set have been destroyed.” Thiandoum added that, just before the attack, he received a phone call from a supporter of Sy complaining about the story. November 27, 2020 Find out more Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the Senegalese authorities to react quickly and firmly to yesterday’s ransacking of the offices of a national daily by individuals angry about a report in that morning’s issue that a religious leader had just been hospitalized after testing positive to Covid-19. This attack must not go unpunished, RSF said. RSF asks Senegal to amend its new press law Reports Organisation News Follow the news on Senegal SenegalAfrica Activities in the fieldCondemning abusesReligious intoleranceProtecting journalists Covid19EnvironmentImpunityFreedom of expressionViolence August 4, 2020 Senegalese authorities must respond to ransacking of Dakar newspaper March 5, 2021 Find out more The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa to go further Diagne added: “The provision of news and information by journalists is more essential than ever during this worldwide pandemic. The authorities have a duty to protect them. Both the right to information and the right to health are at stake.” SenegalAfrica Activities in the fieldCondemning abusesReligious intoleranceProtecting journalists Covid19EnvironmentImpunityFreedom of expressionViolence News @jotaay.net RSF decries exceptional press freedom violations in Senegal The newsroom of Les Echos, a Dakar-based daily newspaper founded in 2018, was ransacked by people claiming to be followers of Serigne Moustapha Sy, the leader of an influential Sudi Muslim order in Senegal called Tidiane, who was the subject of a front-page story reporting that he had been “struck down by Covid-19” and had been admitted to Dakar’s main hospital. Les locaux d’un quotidien sénégalais ont été mis à sac par des individus mécontents de la publication d’un article faisant état de la contamination de leur guide religieux par le coronavirus. Reporters sans frontières (RSF) demande aux autorités de réagir rapidement et fermement afin que cette attaque ne reste pas impunie. Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information
Oil output from Saudi Arabia has already risen to more than eight million barrels a day, but the country’s Crown Prince says Iran must still be deterred from taking further action US shale operators struggling amid the Saudi-led oil price war (Credit: White House/Shealah Craighead) Iran must be deterred from further damaging oil infrastructure in Saudi Arabia through a ‘strong’ response from the international community, according to the latter’s Crown Prince.In an interview with CBS on 29 September, Mohammed bin Salman claimed global oil markets will suffer from rapidly escalating prices if nothing is done following the attacks on Saudi Aramco’s Abqaiq and Khurais facilities earlier this month.Yemen’s Houthi rebels claimed responsibility for the attacks, but following close inspection of the drones and missiles used, Saudi officials have pointed the finger at their country’s long-term rival, Iran.Bin Salman said: “This attack hit the heart of the global energy industry and disrupted 5.5% of the world’s power needs — the needs of the US, China and the whole world.“This was an act of war — if the world does not take strong and firm action to deter Iran, we will see further escalation that will threaten world interests.“Oil supplies will be disrupted, and oil prices will jump to unimaginably high numbers that we haven’t seen in our lifetime. Saudi Arabia oil production recovering faster than expectedOil output from Saudi Arabia has already risen to more than eight million barrels a day since the drone attacks, which is significantly closer to pre-attack levels of 12 million than experts had anticipated by the end of September.Insiders revealed the figures to the Financial Times, with heat maps of key fields confirming a surge in production that has helped push global oil prices below $62 a barrel.The two facilities hit by drone attacks, Abqaiq and Khurais, are still expected to take many months to fully repair, but oil markets look set to calm for the time being after experiencing price hikes of up to 20% last month.Saudi Aramco CEO Amin Nasser had been confident in the likelihood of this rapid recovery and the resilience of his firm’s operations last week: “These synchronised attacks were timed to create maximum damage to our facilities and operations.“The rapid response and resilience demonstrated in the face of such adversity shows the company’s preparedness to deal with threats aimed at sabotaging Aramco’s supply of energy to the world.”“We have a hard-earned reputation for nearly 100% reliability in terms of meeting our international customers’ requirements and we have defended that.“Not a single shipment to an international customer has been or will be missed or cancelled as a result of these attacks.“We have proven that we are operationally resilient and have confirmed our reputation as the world’s leading supplier.”
Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher has slammed Naby Keita and Mohamed Salah’s performance in their 1-1 draw with West Ham United in Monday’s Premier League encounter.The 23-year-old midfielder was handed his 18th league outing against the Hammers but failed to make significant impact, and also lost his man Michail Antonio who equalised – from a clever free-kick situation – Sadio Mane’s opener. With the result, Manchester City have now closed the gap on Liverpool at the summit of the log to three points.The Reds will hope to bounce back to winning ways when they play host to Bournemouth on Saturday at Anfield. Salah who has continued to impress this season could not add to his 16 league goals despite playing for the entire duration of the game as the Reds dropped two points.And the 41-year-old feels Keita who cost the Anfield outfit £50 million for his transfer from German Bundesliga side RB Leipzig last summer is not justifying the hefty fee while criticising the performance of the Egypt international in the tie.“Keita, who they paid big money for, in midfield keeps losing the ball. Firmino doesn’t seem himself. Salah, we didn’t see anything from him tonight,” Carragher said on Sky Sports.